"God sets the lonely in families" Psalms 68:6

Friday, January 14, 2011

October 14th Update

I don’t think you can find more giving people that Albina and Vica. When I got to their house and before I had the opportunity to change my clothes, I was immediately given thick socks and slippers for my feet as well as a thick sweater. And then I was fed. Yum. I couldn’t wait to eat Albina’s soup. She makes the best soup in the world. That is true comfort food. Ahh, I love her food. After eating, I was able to take a hot shower. It’s so nice to have a nice, hot shower after traveling for 20+ hours. Razvan read off some questions that they had for me. Simple questions like, how was the trip, how are the kids, how is the family. After the questions, I was so dead tired I couldn’t keep my eyes open let alone try to understand the language. So I got into my covers and Albina tucked me in. I don’t know why, but I like it when she tucks me in. It makes me feel like a little girl being tucked in by her mommy. I will never get sick of that.

I didn’t wake up until 9:30am. It was heavenly to finally be able to sleep since traveling 20+ hours with no sleep. Albina asked me what I wanted to do and I said rest. I was completely exhausted. We spent most of the day resting. It was just nice to be with Albina.

In the evening around 6pm, we went to Nicu’s house. I don’t know why, but I get butterflies in my stomach every time we drive in that direction, and especially as we near my old house. There are so many memories associated with my old village and my old home that surface each time I find myself there. These are memories that cannot be erased. And as I stand before my old home, I see them all so vividly. Many of these memories bring a lot of tears. All I want to do it fall to the ground and cry. I know it may seem strange to hold so many emotions attached to a home, but this was the world I once knew. I remember everything about my old home. In many ways, I am glad she {my home} is still standing. It is surreal to stand before her and look at her face. She has been weathered, beaten down and cracked. Yet she still stands. Sometimes I feel the same way. As I work through some of my painful memories, I too, feel weathered, beaten down and broken. But somewhow, by the grace of God, I still stand. For many reasons, my old home holds much symbolism for me. I hope that someday I can give her new life, just as I received new life.

As I walked through the door way, Grabriela was the first to greet me and she cried. I brought the duffle bag of donations and was so excited to give them to the kids. The room was neat and everyone looked happy. I saw my other brother Florin for the first time. He was not there when I went in 2009, so it was amazing to see his face. I have never forgotten him. I remembered his face and his personality. Oh, how I wanted to fall to the ground and cry. I cannot fully express the emotions I felt. My sweet brother, whose pain stricken life has been written all over his face. He is in his 30’s but looks so much older. Every scar and every wrinkle are a testament to the life he has had. But above all, his eyes tell his story. I could see his eyes rimmed with the sadness he carries. In the 20 years that have passed since we last saw each other, I was reuniting with a brother I hardly recognized. As Florin and I held each other and cried, I felt so sad for a number of reasons. There was not a dry eye in the house. It is so hard for me to see my brothers and the harsh life that they live in and not feel guilty. I don’t know why I was blessed to come to America and others were left behind. I’ve come to think that perhaps this is something I will never get an answer to until I die. Seeing their sadness really shakes me because I realize that it could have been my life.

The children have grown so much. Cristi, the baby, is so tall now, he doesn’t even look like a little toddler anymore. Gabriela has also grown taller too. I would bet she is going to be a tall girl, just like my mother was and just like me. Andrei is bigger as well and not as shy towards me. Seeing the children made me want to hug them forever. They are so sweet and innocent with so much light and love to offer. They were so excited for everything. Before my trip, I worked on filling backpacks for them. Many of you donated items and Rhonda just about took care of all the backpacks for me. She provided so many toys and fun things for the kids. She gave all the kids bubbles and I can tell you they were a BIG hit. The kids were fascinated with the bubbles. Cristi in particular wanted to do bubbles the entire time I was there. It was so wonderful to see the children so happy. Andrei, who is about my boy’s age, was fascinated with the cars. I am so glad that we got to bring those to him. Aside from the bubbles, I think they loved the flutes I brought. They kept playing them. You have never seen so much happiness as there was in that house when the children were taking each item out of their backpacks and squealing with excitement over every.single.item. I wish I would have brought a video camera with me so that you could all see for yourselves. The children loved every single toy they received. And they all put their pajamas on as well.

Providing happiness to the kids {even if it’s just momentary} is such a treat for me. I can remember being their age and having nothing. So to be able to come with backpacks full of amazing goodies was so awesome.

I want to thank everyone who donated items. You have no idea how such simple things can bring such great joy to the face of child. I wish you could all experience it for yourselves. You would never forget it. Those moments alone were probably one of the highlights of the trip. I have never seen such happy children. And all I brought were simple toys: crayons, markers, cars, bubbles, army men, animals, coloring books, sketch pads, flowers, small stuffed toys, a Raggedy Anne for Gabriela, etc. And some of the toys were even hand-me-downs in really great condition. It didn’t take much to bring such happiness to the kids, and I am so thankful that I was able to do that.

Thank you again for the donations. They were very appreciated!


1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to read about your reunion with your family. What a blessing to have your aunt and uncle who seem to provide a buffer zone between you and the confusing, mixed emotions that surround being with your brothers. I can just feel your longing for things to be different in their lives, but your unconditional love for them just shines through. Your sweet spirit amazes me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment.