Today we spent the day with Albina and Vica who had the day off from work. We spent the morning looking at pictures. I love looking at pictures. I love seeing moments from their lives.
In the early afternoon after Razvan got home from school, they took us to the mall. We looked around the mall for a little while. Then after awhile we went to a store called Segros (similar to Costco). We told them we wanted to purchase food in bulk for Nicu and asked for suggestions. They were so wonderful and helped pick out what they thought were great ideas and economical for the situation. Since Nicu does not have a stove or a refrigerator, we had to be picky about what we chose. Vica and Ionica kept walking around picking out items that they thought would be great. I was trying not to like look an idiot who was crying in the store while she’s buying food. I was so emotional as we were picking out food to bring to Nicu and the kids. I just remembered being so hungry all the time and I was so glad that we were going to be able to bring the kids lots of food. I was holding back tears because I wouldn’t have been able to explain why I was crying over the food. I kept thinking of the little kids and how much food they need. They must be starving more often than not and it’s an awful feeling. They’re so young and growing and they need nourishment. We bought a lot of food for them. We purchased items like rice, beans, canned meat, sausages, pasta, sauce, fresh fruit, powdered milk, different kinds of soup, sugar, eggs, and so much more stuff. Since Nicu has no stove and no refrigerator, we made sure that the items were practical and some of the items were individually packed so nothing went to waste. I wanted to hug Ionic and Vica and tell them how much I appreciated them for helping us. I think that they could tell I was emotional. As we left Ionica took me over to the bakery department and bought me a doughnut.
I thought we were going to take the food to Nicu later tonight but we went after we left the store. I was excited to see him and the kids. We arrived and Razvan and I knocked on the door. Mihaela came to meet us. The children ran to the door screaming and excited. Gabriela had over 5 hair flowers pinned in her hair. I think she really does wear as many as she can at a time. We entered the room. It looked so different than the night before. I think they spent the day finishing painting and they cleaned and organized. The bedding was on the beds. The kids were covered in markers because they had been coloring all day. I don't think they've ever colored with markers before. We sat down. Nicu was in better spirits and was happy to see us. You should have seen the kids. They were going crazy over our arrival. They were so excited. They keep hugging and squeezing me. The boys are a little more shy and timid than Gabriela. She just hugs, kisses and squeezes me tight. I love their kids. They're so sweet. Gabriela showed me that she wrote my name and her name together on a piece of newspaper. I couldn't find the coloring books I packed so for now they were coloring on newspaper. They had their markers spread out all over the floor. I just love that they have something to play with. I wish I could get them a million educational toys and fun toys too. They would love it and truly appreciate it. We brought in all of the food. I think maybe my brother was a little embarrassed but I didn’t care. I know that they need the food and I was happy to be able to provide it. The kids need the food. They were excited at everything we brought. We even bought them a huge bag of cereal that was similar to Cocoa-Puffs. The kids were excited about that. I felt happy because I knew that for a moment I had eased their burdens. I can’t imagine as a parent wondering how I am going to be able to feed my kids that day. At least for a little while he doesn’t have to wonder where his next meal is coming from and the kids will know that they have food. The visit was really nice. I was so happy. Some neighbors came over. A husband and a wife came over. I used to play with their kids. I remembered them. They were so happy to see me. It was cute. An older gentleman came over too. We didn't have a translator with us so we were all kind of trying to speak as best as we could. I am picking up the language more, but I'm still not speaking well enough to be able to carry on those type of conversations. The man said that his son was the one that christened me when I was a baby. He was really overjoyed to see me. He was actually quite emotional and just kept staring at me and saying my name over and over. He stayed for a bit. He got emotional when he was leaving and so did I. He was so sweet and seemed like he had missed me. I got teary eyed as he left.
It was a really nice visit. I just love his kids. How could anyone not? They're so bright and lively. They were all over me. I loved it. I hope they can tell how much I love them. I just want to take them home with me. I want to take everyone home with me. Life in America is so much easier. Despite our economical problems and all of our own personal, financial or other hardships, nothing compares to how it is here. All my worries and problems seem minimal and unimportant compared to what my brother is facing and what his children deal with on a daily basis. I really wanted to get some food for them and I was so glad that through the help and generosity of so many people and the success of our yard sale, that we were able to have money to purchase food for them that will hopefully last quite a few weeks.
Nicu knew that we were going to Straja for the weekend. I hated saying goodbye. I wish that we could have stayed with them. The kids love it when we come. I love it too. But we told them that we were coming back on Monday to see them. The atmosphere in the house was different. Their spirits seemed lighter and it seemed like their burdens had been lifted. I was happy that we could be a part of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment.