On bended knee, in the shadow of an unknown room
Empty eyes with no more tears to cry
Turning heavenward toward the light
Crying, Jesus help me
To see the morning light of one more day
But if I should die before I wake
I pray my soul to take
Can you feel the hearts of the children?
Aching for home, for something of their very own
Reaching hands, with nothing to hold on to
But hope for a better day, a better day’
(Song written by Kurt Bestor)
This song brings me to tears as I think about the reality that I once knew and now the reality that my own niece and nephews face. Despite their situation, they glow. I am so amazed at their bright and happy dispositions. All of the children manage to remain happy and cheerful despite their living circumstances and their need for basic necessities such as food. They look ok but I can tell that they don’t receive enough food and nourishment. It is a heart wrenching situation for me to see. I was that little girl. The most difficult part of my journey was returning to my home and seeing Gabriela, Andrei and Cristian living as I once lived. But what eased my sorrows was the fact that we were able to bring 3 huge duffle bags full of warm bedding, clothing, shoes and all types of warm winter necessities and other basic needs for them. On Thursday, we were able to purchase a lot of food for them and I was so glad. For a moment, I felt like we had eased my brother’s burdens. At least for awhile they won’t have to wonder where their next meal was going to come from. It does a heart good to ease the suffering of those we love. Somehow and miraculously I ended up healing myself in the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment.